Thursday, March 14, 2013

I didn't mean to grow this beard!


I’ve checked off a fair number of figurative boxes thus far in my life as a leader. My growth has been refreshing and always never-ending. I’ve worked for the whole spectrum of organizations, filling roles from the depths of leadership to delegating even the smallest details. I’ve been required to shave every morning. I’ve shown up to lead trips still covered in glitter from the night before. Anyways, while in the car on our way to an after-class lap up Looking Glass Rock, Jackson and I pondered what it really means to be a professional. What is professionalism? How far does it extend into your personal life? There are obvious boundaries, as there should be. Surely being mean or intolerant is a quality not held by any successful leader. But here’s the problem: The line is drawn in sand. There is always possibility for misinterpretation.

Jackson and I had just led a trip to Chattanooga with some of our best friends. Participants included my old college roommate, many cute girls, most of my climbing partners, and folks who had never before gone rock climbing.  The balance of roles would no doubt be the biggest struggle of this trip. A few years ago, we starting using something called an “attitude check” to get participants excited. When we yell ATTITUDE CHECK, everyone yells back WE LOVE THIS SHIT. It’s always a hit among the college-aged crowd. On this trip, we checked attitudes while climbing at a popular cliff line many times. It just so happened that we were climbing right next to a prominent figure in the North Carolina climbing community (who shall remain nameless). I looked over just after an attitude check, only to see his face changing rapidly between laughter, surprise, and disapproval. Whoops.

So what was it? Was this certain attitude check particularly offensive? Was my impromptu flagpole while leading a climb as unprofessional as the “sun’s out, guns out” mentality we often adopt? What about the simple act of giving “knucks” before embarking on a climb? At what point should we stop caring if our actions have negative impacts on the first impressions we make? Should we sacrifice the benefits of yelling WE LOVE THIS SHIT for the possibility of better first impressions? I think there is inherent value in acting with a certain amount of abandon while leading. It builds rapport, allowing for a closer connection between leader and participant. At a certain point, considering professionalism transforms into over-thought.

Most of me wants to think that it is possible to balance the roles of “peer” and “leader”, but I wonder if this idea lends itself to a two faced relationship with others. How can someone respect my leadership when, at lunch just two hours before, they heard me say the words “dood, fucking-shickadang!” Perhaps organizations of all fields should communicate exactly what they view as professional and unacceptable. It could be an appendix to the staff manual or an hour-long discussion during staff training. Topics could include: beard trimming, how many drinks to have at a party, the kinds of stickers you’re allowed to have on your bumper, and the cute girls you’re not allowed to flirt with. If organizations expect their employees to act professionally, employees should expect organizations to set their own unique guidelines. All organizations have different circumstances, which changes the way employees should act.

So, you ask, I should always act as if my life is under a microscope? No. I think the mere examination of professionalism and how it differs in different organizations usually dictates an adequate level of professionalism. Consider the mountain guide. Which guide makes you feel more comfortable and safe: The stereotypical, bearded, experienced Yosemite Valley dirt bag, or the clean cut, humble, and conservative rock climber? Both have their merits, and both create very specific environments that inspire confidence. One fosters this confidence through an obvious appearance of being a seasoned climber, while the other fosters this through a more welcoming, albeit less relaxed, environment. They both probably have good jokes, smelly feet, and a desire for gratuity. Their goals are similar, their intentions are respectable, and their executions are contrasting. Who would you pick?

I like to think I get tipped more with some stubble on my chin and dirt under my fingernails, but I try not to over-think it.

Who knows. Fuck it.

Riley.



No comments:

Post a Comment