Thursday, January 3, 2013

I want to move here forever


My parents’ car lurched with a cold shudder, much like children do when suddenly trying to avoid a crack in the sidewalk. It was Monday afternoon, New Years Eve, and I had slept until lunchtime. My destination was the mailbox, only two blocks away from my house, but there was no convincing me to walk. No fucking way. Now, I didn’t wake up this particular Monday expecting to drive two blocks to the mailbox or to justify spending too much money on things. I don’t think anyone ever does, but here we are. People usually wake up on Monday morning laughing, or hungry, or allegedly finished with all self-assigned homework due that day, with some sort of premonition or gut feeling forecasting the coming storm. I guess it was just Monday. I woke up with a full bank account, but the forecast was cloudy and cold with a chance of dwindling cash and an expensive city.

Things I bought in the past week I don’t regret:
A cheesesteak
Subway tokens to see a bitchin’ pop punk basement show
Admission to a bitchin’ pop punk basement show

Things I should have bought in the past week:
Another cheesesteak
A beer for that beautiful bluegrass girl at the barbeque bar I went to on New Years
Stamps to send more letters to my friends

Things I bought in the past week I regret:
Nothing. No regrets for life, dude.

I rode the subway back from downtown last night. The glass in the window flickered my drowsy reflection every time the train passed a light in the tunnel. I thought to myself, thank god there are lights in the tunnel. Who knows where we’d turn up if there were only lights at the end of the tunnel. It was a weird inside joke I made with myself.

I’ll be back in North Carolina on Saturday for my last semester of college, and I’ve got nothing to do for an entire week! Call me, I don’t have much money, but I’d love to get some coffee or go rock climbing.


Riley.

P.S. I’m not sure how many of you download these mixtapes, but for those of you that download this kickin’ mixtape, sorry about the last song. It had to be done. But whatever, no regrets for life, dude.


3 comments:

  1. i liked, pepper, and, money.
    -j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what about swing, swing? You loved that one too? It's a classic.
      -Riley.

      Delete
  2. I download the mixtapes. Every time.
    No regrets.

    ReplyDelete